(6 x 9 In) This is an original vintage Canco, American Can Company recipe booklet from the 1940s. "Wartime Recipes - From Canned Foods" is 26-pages long and contains black and white photos, recipes and wartime tips.
"In these days of rationing, we fully realize that many tin containers and canned foods have gone to war. Tin containers are now used for such life-saving things as blood plasma, distress signal flares, first aid kits and emergency field rations, as well as many items that are used against the enemy.
And in addition to these necessities of war more food is packed in cans than ever before. The food needs of our armed forces and allies will leave about 65% of the normal supply of canned foods for civilian use. There will not be as many varieties of canned foods as you had before the war, and there will be less of some foods than others.
It is imperative that we plan our menus carefully and use our ration points for the canned foods which help to make the family meals adequate from the standpoint of good nutrition.
This booklet of Wartime Recipes From Canned Foods will show you many different ways of making a can of food serve more people. These recipes have been carefully tested- they look appetizing and taste good- your family will enjoy them. All of the recipes make four servings and are all based on using can sizes #2 or #2 1/2. We would prefer not to make canned foods stretch so far, but some day we will have them back again in the variety and quantity that we wish."
- COCKTAILS - Fruit Juice Cocktails, Vegetable Juice Cocktails
- SOUPS - Corn Bisque, New England Clam Chowder, Tomato and Noodle
- VEGETABLE DISHES - Asparagus Cheese Dreams, Asparagus Timbales with Cheese Sauce, Beans and Eggs Au Gratin, Cauliflower and Peas, Green Bean Croquettes, Corn and Egg Scramble, Corn Souffle, Creole Vegetable, Perfection Salad, Vegetable Salad, Wax Beans and Spaghetti
- FISH - Flaked Fish and Macaroni Salad, Salmon and Rice Salad, Scalloped Salmon and Potatoes, Tuna Fish Fondue
- MEAT ALTERNATIVES, STRETCHERS, SAUCES - Green Pea and Nut Loaf, Luncheon Meat Potato Cakes, Luncheon Meat Rolls, Meat and Vegetable Pie, Mushroom Rice Casserole, Oxtail Noodle Soup, Tomato Croquettes, Mint Sauce
- FRUIT DESSERTS - Baked Crispy Peaches, Fruit Compote, Fruit Ice, Fruit Juice Cooler, Fruit Juice Mint Ice, Fruit Sauce, Fruit Surprise Pudding, Mixed Fruit Pudding, Molded Rice Ring With Fruit, Pineapple Tapioca Meringue, Pineapple Upside Down Cake
SANDWICHES - Sardine Sandwiches, Tangy Vegetable Sandwiches
The booklet is in FAIR condition, wear at the edges, general stains, creases at bottom right corners, a few small areas of paper loss.
***Item will be packaged with care in an acid free sleeve, placed between two pieces of cardboard and shipped in a Bubble mailer.***
***If you need something SHIPPED FASTER than First Class shipping (2-5 Days) or by a specific date, please contact me and if necessary I'll get you a quote for expedited shipping prices.***
***Vintage and antique items each have a unique history, and are sold exactly as I bought or found them/ They are in “AS FOUND" condition. Due to their unique nature, rarity, and age, all items are sold “AS IS”.***
THANK YOU for looking!
Questions, Comments? Please contact me. Ephemera Obscura